What causes hard stools in a 6 month old child?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Question
Hello Doctor,

Sometimes my 6 month old son's stool looks very hard and he seems to be struggling when passing it. He is still feeding on mother's milk with 2 feeds a day of Cerelac with Banana or Boiled apple. We are also giving him some water now and then.

Please let us know if this is normal. I am attaching an image of his stool for scrutiny purpose. Kindly advice further on this.

Thanks,
XXXX XXXXXXX
Wed, 9 May 2018 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Suggestions on hard stool in 6 month old

Detailed Answer:
Hi.... this is very much normal when you have started complementary feeding and when you are introducing new solids.

Babies of this age who are exclusively breastfed can pass motion 10 times a day or 10 days once also.

When you start giving complementary feeding the bowel takes some time to adjust and make the stool soft along with the water content the baby has ingested in any fluid form.

If the baby is feeding well, gaining weight well and otherwise active you need not worry about this.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth

Follow-up: What causes hard stools in a 6 month old child? 47 minutes later
Hello doctor, I forgot to mention that my son has a Hydronephrosis condition. Is it still normal?

Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Suggestions on hard stools and hydronephrosis

Detailed Answer:
Hi.... even with a hydronephrosis, this is still normal.

Usually kids with hydronephrosis are more prone for urinary tract infections and constipation is a risk factor for urinary tract infection.

I do not think that your child has got constipation.

Meanwhile I suggest that you upload the reports according to which you are saying that your child has got hydronephrosis, so that I can guide you in a better way.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth