What causes hard stools after having Nexpro RD for acidity?

Posted on Tue, 9 Jun 2015 in General Health
Question: Hi, I am 31 years old, I was facing acidity & gas from 3 days, doctor prescribed Nexpro rd 40, and felt better, now after 2 days of taking the tablets, I m facing hard stools, which i am not able to pass. I am struggling from past 5 hours. Had taken 10ml of Lactulose 3 hours ago. Still i m unable to pass stools, and am very uncomfortable.
Answered by Dr. Praveen 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Allow some more time for the drug to act

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear.Thanks for your query.

I deeply understand your concern.
Nexpro RD contains Esomeprazole which reduce acid secretion in stomach and there by acidity.It also contains domperidone which is a prokinetic which increase the movement of gastric contents (reducing acidity and increasing the bowel movement by the nature of its action).This is a safe combination and highly unlikely to cause constipation.

Most drugs which produce a bowel movement take a minimum of 4-6 hours for the onset of action.Lactulose 10ml takes minimum of 6 hours to cause onset of bowel movement.I would suggest you to walk a bit(10-15 minutes), drink plenty of oral fluids.Do not be strain or be anxious since this results in contraction of abdomen muscles which impair natural bowel movement.

If you are experiencing constipation hope below tips would help you-
Regular exercise, wheat XXXXXXX husk, isphgula will increase the bulk of your stool and ease bowel movement.
Fresh fruits, vegetables add plenty of fibre to your diet and relieves constipation.
Plenty of fluids maintain hydration and improve bowel health.

Lactulose 10ml for now shall suffice and you need not take extra dose.

Dr.Praveen

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Praveen 43 hours later
Thank you for your response Dr. XXXXXXX

Lactulose 10ml, did work its magic, after another couple of hours.

However, my concern is why did it happen. I have never faced such constipation problems before.

Could it be a combination of acidity + Nexpro rd + lack of exercise while continuing to consume Whey Protein ( 30g (1 scoop) dissolved in Water ) every morning?

I have been drinking Whey ( above said quantity ) for last 1 year. However, recently have stopped exercising, but continued to take Whey.

If so, should I stop drinking Whey to avoid any further such problems?

Thank you for your response in advance.

XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Praveen 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Start exercising, Choose whey with high fibre

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear.Thanks for your revert.

Yes whey protein consumption causes constipation.I completely agree that you have been consuming whey since an year and as you said you had not experienced constipation because of exercise.Exercise such as walking shall keep your bowel healthy and improve bowel motility.Hence you need to restart.

I would also suggest to choose a whey protein with high fibre content(among those available ones).This will minimize your problem.Hope you donot have any other problem( like hemorrhoids).You can try whey with high fibre than the existing ones instead of completely stopping it.Lifestyle modification is important to prevent constipation.

Stay healthy.Good luck!

Dr.Praveen
Dr. Praveen