What causes hard stool?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Wed, 21 Sep 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi
today morning my stool shaped like intestinal and hard to cut it
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This is ok.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

This is not concerning. It may have just been due to a different amount of fiber and other contents of the stool.

Concerning stool signs are bright red blood; tarry and black; white or clay colored; frothy and foul smelling; or an abnormal amount of oil on the surface of the water.

Increase the amount of fruit juice or fruit and vegetables and this should resolve.
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 10 minutes later
It was normal colour but when I touch it was like chewing gum

i had a hi sort of rectal bleeding, Is there any relation with passing stool intestine shape and 4 cm long

thank you for your prompt replay
Brief Answer:
Rectal tear

Detailed Answer:

That is still ok. Stool can have all sorts of consistencies.

If it was very firm as you described, it can cause a small rectal tear which can cause some bleeding. This should heal up in the next 1-2 days.