What causes hard painless lump on calf muscle?

Excellent

Question
I have a hard painless lump on calf muscle which only visible when leg is flexed
Posted Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in Lump

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No worries, Lipoma or cyst.

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

The lump being painless makes the possibility for it to be of an infectious origin very unlikely.

It might be important to know for how long you have noticed this lump. Also knowing how it has been evolving over time is important. If it is a fast growing lump, this could be more pre occupying. IN case the size does not really change or changes slowly, this would be reassuring. The nature of the skin around where the lump is found is important. If the skin does not show any color changes nor twisting, this would generally imply the lump is a simple lump (not a cancer).

The commonest possibility in this case is accumulation of fat beneath the skin that forms lumps, generally called lipomas. In case it is not too big, there is no need removing it. In case you might want it to be removed for esthetic reasons, a simple surgical procedure generally under local anesthesia would be sufficient.

A calf cyst could also present as a mass. However in this case, would be softer. Making the difference from hard lumps or lipomas is generally simple. Your doctor, after sterilizing the area would aspirate the mass using a syringe. In case of a cyst, or rarely for this case, it s an abscess, fluid or pus would come back.

No need to worry. I suggest you just see a doctor, but it s likely to be a lipoma.

Kind regards,

Dr Bain

Follow-up: What causes hard painless lump on calf muscle? 18 minutes later
Thank you for your help . I will go to my GP when I return home from Cooktown . Only 1400 miles to go to get there!! Kind regards XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Thanks and wishing you the best of health.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks too XXXXXXX as I wish you the best of health.

Dr Bain

Follow-up: What causes hard painless lump on calf muscle? 34 hours later
I am making myself nauseous with fear
. Travelling back home now to see my GP it will take a few days.need to take something to stop the panic.XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
No worries, no need for drugs at this point in XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

I do understand this could cause some fear and panic. Permit me however to reassure you that there is really nothing so serious to panic over.

I would advise you to take any drugs, for you can manage this by simply being calm and positive.

Nothing serious is my opinion, as I pray you to stay calm. No worries.

Dr Bain

Follow-up: What causes hard painless lump on calf muscle? 5 hours later
Thank you will try to take your wise advice
Kind regards XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Thanks again and kind regards

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX and I am really glad and wish you the best of health.

No worries. I on my part I am anxiously waiting on the updates with regards to the opinion of your primary care physician when you get to see him.

Kind regards,

Dr Bain