question-icon

What causes hard painful lump in the crease of buttock?

Posted on Wed, 23 Jul 2014
Question: I woke up with a good size bump. soft in top hard on bottom. it was here before. it hurts bad too. I can't walk real well. its in the crease of my but and starting of my thigh. I attached a picture. I have to work tonight and can't walk without a lot of pain. what can I do?! I have no STDs or anything like that. so that's not it.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko (41 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
it should be drained

Detailed Answer:
Hello.

Thank you for the query.

This looks like a pilonidal cyst. Due to ingrown hair in this area the tisuess get irritated what leads to cyst creation. When such cyst gets infected, pus appears what gives strong pain. You may have also a fever with this issue.
As you have the pain, your cyst seems to be filled with pus. To get a relief you need to consult general surgeon and have it incised.
After an incision you should get scheduled for cyst removal, otherwise it will give the pain again.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon