What causes hard lump under the skin after an arm injury?

Dr. Kerry Pottinger

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist

Posted on Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: Hello I put my arm inside my dryer before it stopped spinning and it was twisted. That was three days ago and It is swollen and bruised but doesn't hurt. There is a hard lump under the skin . Should I go to the emergency room?
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No. Do not need medical attention at this stage.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic. If you are experiencing no pain then you do not need to seek medical attention. The lump may be a hematoma which is a collection of blood in the tissues which would be common after this type of injury. The lump is likely to reduce but may take a few weeks. If you are able to use your are fairly normally then you are vey unlikely to have suffered significant injury.
I hope this is of help. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger