What causes hard lump on forehead?

Posted on Tue, 9 Jun 2015 in Lump
Question: I have asked here before. But I need to hear more opinions. I have lump on my forehead. It has been there for 2 weeks. I looked at some old pictures - 6 months ago and apparently it was there but maybe a little smaller. The lump feels rubbery but sort of hard. It does move a little if I press it. The more I press and play with it, the more it protrudes. The more I leave it alone, the less noticeable it is.
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It looks like a Sebaceous cyst

Detailed Answer:
Hi
I saw the pic.
It looks like a Sebaceous cyst, a swelling which appears in relation to hair follicle.
It is a subcutaneous swelling.
I prefer to remove the swelling surgically and send it for histopathological examination ( Biopsy ) for exact diagnosis.
I request you to consult your Surgeon, get it excised .It can be done under local anaesthesia as a Day case procedure.
Nothing to worry.
Hope I answered your query. If you have any questions, I will clarify further.
Wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Follow up: Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 8 minutes later
It seems that some people say lipoma? You feel it more of a cyst. Why do you feel one vs the other?
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Lipoma will be soft.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
As per your description, the swelling is hard.Lipoma,which is accumulation of fat will be softer in consistency.
As I said before, exact diagnosis will be confirmed by histopathological examination ( Biopsy ) only.
Please get it excised and send it for histopathological examination.
You can know the correct diagnosis.
Wish you good health.
Follow up: Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 43 minutes later
I have a history of lipoma. Considering I had one removed on my back. I understand that I must have it removed in order to define it for sure. But I can not so that today. I am also a clinical hypocandriac. In order to calm my anxiety I just need to hear from a doctor - this is not something that should worry me.
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Both are benign lesions.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Whether the swelling is Lipoma or Sebaceous cyst, they are benign swellings, not cancerous.
So,nothing to worry.
Surgery is not Emergency. You can get it done leisurely.
Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Pradeep Vitta
Dr. Hari Charan Perigela

General Surgeon