What causes hard lump inside the shin after an injury?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I fell about a year ago and injured my shin. I didn't see a doctor. It healed up, but now I have about a four inch hard lump along the inside of my left shin. It looks as though it is not going to get any smaller. it hurts only when I press on it.
Posted Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Back Pain

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Due to a hematoma

Detailed Answer:
The hard lump on the shin after an injury is likely to be due to a hematoma that has fibrozed over time.
This is a normal occurrence if a large hematoma at the time of injury is not drained. It can cause a severe pain in case it gets infected. This can be confirmed after an MRI scan.
Treatment involves hot fomentation of the area to reduce any inflammation. mild pain killers can also reduce the pain in case the pain is persistent.
Surgical resection is the only permanent cure. You can discuss this with your orthopedician and get the necessary investigations done for confirmation.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal