What causes hard lump in front of the ear?

Dr. Indu Kumar

Radiologist

Posted on Wed, 19 Feb 2014 in General Health
Question: I have what started as a hard llump in front of my ear but has turned soft and moveable it makes my ear feel clogged or as if it's closing
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer: It may be enlarged lymph node. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing to us Lump in front of your ear may be due to enlarged lymph node.It is the site of draining lymph nodes from head and neck.Usually it is due to benign reasons like scalp infection (due to dandruff,louse etc),infection in external ear,throat infection etc. In most of the cases it doesn't require any treatment and it will resolve after some time.However other skin lesions like lipoma,neurofibroma etc need to be ruled out. You also need examination of your ear and throat.You may have ear and throat problem that is causing clogged ear.It may be due to bock of Eustachian tube resulting form throat infection. If infection is diagnosed then you have to take antibiotics and antihistaminics. Proper treatment depend upon clinical examination and investigation reports. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX