What causes hard knot in right breast?

Pathologist and Microbiologist
Question
I was in a car accident approximately 1 1/2 years ago. The air bags exploded and my right breast was
very badly bruised. It was one huge black hematoma. I couldn't breathe for 4 days and it was a month or more before I could wear a bra. For several months, my right breast was swollen larger than my left. Recently I have felt a very small hard knot in top of my right breast.
What are your thoughts on this?
Posted Fri, 22 Aug 2014 in Lump

Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Fibrosis & fat necrosis are most probable lesions.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting your query on HealthcareMagic.

The hard knot in the right breast appears to be a sequelae of hematoma formation.
A hematoma is formed by collection of blood in the soft tissue.
Hematoma can be followed by complete resolution or can end with fibrosis.
Fibrosis is in growth of fibrous tissue or scar tissue in the hematoma.
The fibrous tissue can feel hard and knotty.
Besides fibrous tissue, there could be fat necrosis.
Fat necrosis is a condition wherein the fat in breast undergoes necrosis or degeneration which results in formation of a firm to hard lump.
However, I would suggest you to get an ultrasound of the breast to rule out any neoplastic growth in the breast.
Ultrasonically will reveal the nature or the lesion.
Any other investigation whether required or not will be decided by the result of the investigation.

I suggest you to consult your surgeon for clinical examination and investigations.

If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer.
Dr Shailja P Wahal