What causes hands pain, dry eyes, dizziness and saliva ducts while treating GERD?

Dr. Ralph Chambers

Posted on Mon, 22 Aug 2016 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: I have been getting treated for GERD for 4 years now with a lot of medication. But have also had issues with pain in hands, legs, and severe dry eyes, and saliva ducts get a little backed up from time to time. I also have occasional dizzy spells. My doctor has checked my thyroid and I take daily medication for hypothroid. My T3 and T4 are normal but TSH is on high range. I am wondering if there is an auto immune disese that could be related to my thyroid and causing the GERD and other symptoms?
Answered by Dr. Ralph Chambers 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Scleroderma is an autoimmune disorder that could be the problem here.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Dear, Welcome to HCM,

With scleroderma there can be a lack of tears, lack of saliva, digestion problems, and joint pain too.

Were I your doctor, I would get the following blood tests-- antinuclear antibody, rheumatoid factor, Erythrocyte sedimentation rate(ESR) and C-reactive protein to check for the disease and based on those findings I would also refer you to a Rheumatologist.

Please let me know if you need any more information
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Ralph Chambers 52 minutes later
What are your thoughts about Hashimoto's thyroiditis, does that ever also have digestion problems? Just wondering since my T3 and T4 are normal, but TSH is high.
Answered by Dr. Ralph Chambers 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello. Hypothyroidism can cause constipation and other problems

Detailed Answer:
If the Hashimoto's has progressed to the point of hypothyroidism, yes that can cause constipation, gastric acid reflux problems, bloating, and weight gain..