What causes hand numbness, muscle stiffness in the legs and speech impairment?

Dr. Saumya Mittal

Diabetologist

Posted on Tue, 4 Apr 2017 in General Health
Question: I am afraid I may have ALS. I have had carpal tunnel operation on both hands and an elbow op. on my left elbow. This did no good. Recently my left hand has gotten much worse. I cannot play guitar, clarinet or sax any more. Also, I have noticed a misstep in my left leg and my speech is faintly rarely not exactly right.
I am 59 and male. I don't know what to do. How is it diagnosed. Thought it might be TOS, but that would not explain my left leg and my speech which is only a faint problem now... Please help.
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Suggestions

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
I am Dr Mittal.
I have been working with ALS patients for 6 years now.
First, it would need a proper neurological examination to state whether there is ALS. So you will need to meet a neurological specialist locally for examination.
Second , the best test for ALS is ENMG. This again is performed by a neurologist.
So overall you will need to meet a neurologist in your area.

About ALS.
It has only motor features.
There are no sensory features.
There are no bowel bladder features.
Till late stages , there are no visual symptoms.
You may note some abnormal shaking of the tongue and flesh of the limbs.
There may be some stiffness.
These are the things you can note.
For other things , you will need to be examined.

I have tried to make it as simple as possible.
Feel free to contact me for further information.
Best of luck.
Dr Mittal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Saumya Mittal 32 minutes later
I have no shaking. There is some stiffness in my legs emanating from my lower back area. I do have loss of sensation in some of my left hand fingers. Also, I must say that I had deep vein blood clots in both legs which could have killed me at age ~38 or 39. I take warfarin for this and have had no apparent problems since. However, the cause of the clots was never discovered---even with a 6 day hospitalization and extensive blood tests. They told me the clots could be due to a condition not yet presenting. I have minor weakness starting in my right hand, also. I have no bowel or urinary nerve probs. but take flomax. I have no sight problems. I have no health ins. now but will try to get some and try a neurologist.
Any other suggestions?
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Suggestions

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the response.
Most of the past history is not suggestive of AL'S.
In the meantime, you can initiate vitamin E and folate.
Physiotherapy would help.
Best of luck.
Dr Mittal