What causes hair loss?

Endocrinologist
Question
I started an accelerated nursing program in May. It's been non-stop and VERY stressful. I have no consistency with sleep, diet, workout schedule, etc. I've had other stressors going on; thought I was pregnant, stressed I'm not working out consistently and am scared I'm going to gain weight, have tried anabolic steroids and now I am losing large amounts of hair in the shower every day...way more than usual!! My hair feels thinner and this has been going on for 2 weeks ( maybe more). What could be causing the hair loss and should I see my PCP for a blood test to check thyroid????
Posted Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes

Detailed Answer:
Sorry to learn about your symptoms.

It would be relevant to check your TSH along with CBC and CMP. If the TSH is abnormal, then free T4 will also be necessary.

Anabolic steroids as you may very well know are unsafe. That is why checking the CMP for liver function tests is important.

I understand nursing programs are academically robust but see what you can do to get the balance close to right. Best wishes