What causes hair loss while treating hypothyroidism?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 25 Jul 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hello doctor, my wife is 29years old and she is suffering from hair loss since last 1year. recenty she is losing hair at an alarming rate. she had tried all types of home remedy but nothing worked. she is also a patient of hypothyroidism and polycystic ovarian syndrom. we are trying for baby since last few months.she is taking eltroxin 50, glyciphage Sr 500 and fol 5. we have heard about Biotin which is good for hair but she is not ready to take it without doctor's suggestion due to other medications.please suggest what can be done?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Add Biotin and topical Minoxidil solution

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

I am dr. kakkar (dermatologist).
I have gone through your query and I have noted your concern.
Hypothyroidism and PCOD may be underlying factors for her excessive hair fall. While treating these underlying factors is of primary importance she may as well take an oral Biotin supplement e.g H-Vit forte tablet or Revilus tablet. In addition to that she may also use topical Minoxidil 5% solution, 1ml, twice daily at scalp skin. Topical Minoxidil is a hair growth promoter.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 33 minutes later
Thanks for your suggestion. I have few concerns. Firstly,please let me know for how long will she take these medicines? Secondly, Will there be any side effect of these medicines? And finally is there any medical test required for this situation?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
Regarding hair fall

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

For hair I suggest her to take oral Biotin for at least 6 months. There is no side effect of biotin supplementation however, it would be advisable to discontinue in case she gets pregnant during treatment. She may also get her Iron profile test. In case her iron stores are less then she may require supplementation for that.