What causes hair loss while on Minoxidil?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Fri, 23 Oct 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi I am using trichoton forte and finalo tablets along with morr 5% for my hair fall control and regrowth as prescribed by doc...I started this treatment one month back but since I started this treatment my hairfall increased. even if touch my hair few hair comes in my hand...also used to apply shampoo daily basis but doctor gave me alternative shampoo (Mildy) and prescribed on only 3 days week...and the day I do not use shampoo that day my hairfall will be more..kindly advise if I need to continue the treatment or not.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I suggest you to continue with the treatment

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us.

Minoxidil (Morr-5% solution) can cause an initial increase in hair shedding in some individuals. This is actually a sign that it is working! This increased hair shedding is due as 'Anagen Surge' wherein new hair (Anagen hair) that is starting to grow pushes out resting hair (Telogen hair) out of the follicle. This manifest as increased hair shedding initially. This resting hair (telogen hair) was anyways going to be shed sooner or later. Minoxidil is just making them shed faster! That seems to be the reason for increased hair shedding in your case. This phase of increased hair shedding is temporary and usually lasts no longer than the first 4-6 weeks of initiation of therapy with minoxidil. Therefore I suggest you to continue with minoxidil along with the tablets.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 2 hours later
Thank you for the prompt response.
I also would like to inform you that I am applying Minoxidil (morr 5%) only on the front portion of my head as the front portion of my head has less hair volume due to hairfall. Do I need to apply any oil on side hair of my head or it is not necessary....And also advise me on the use of shapmoo ( Mildy-Aloe vera) ..whether I can use shampoo on daily basis or thrice a week only...as per my doc shampoo has to be used thrice a week only but the day I do not apply shampoo I have more hairfall at the time of taking.shower. kindly advise
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Minoxidil to be used on the all of center part of scalp; can shampoo daily

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

You should apply minoxidil to the whole of center of scalp i.e front, mid and vertex of scalp, 1 ml, twice daily, not only on the frontal part of scalp. This is because androgenetic alopecia affects all of central part of scalp (i.e front, mid and vertex). Apply it with help of a dropper. Start applying from mid scalp portion, gradually moving outwards (front and backwards), to prevent it from trickling down the forehead.
There is no need to use minoxidil on the sides of scalp as this area is usually not affected by androgenetic hair loss, only the central part is affected.
You may use any oil for sides of your scalp but strictly not on the center part (i.e front, mid and vertex part) of scalp where you would be using only minoxidil, twice daily. Oil can interfere with action of minoxidil.
The shampoo you are using is very mild and can be even used daily for scalp wash.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad