What causes hair loss while on Metoprolol and Lisinopril?

Dr. Rudina Balliu

Posted on Wed, 8 Mar 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: My beautiful full thick hair has been falling out for several years. I first noticed it after my first by-pass surgery in 1999. At first doctors said it could be from the anesthesia, then stress.... A patient in my cardiologist office was looking at me and said she had the same problem. She then asked me for a list of medications I might be taking. She said I should find out if taking Metprolol ER, 25 MG, Lisinopril 20 MG, or Metformin 800 MG or a combination of any of those can cause hair loss. If it is a probability, I will discuss it with my family doctor. I live on Social Security so I cannnot afford the expensive transplants. I am 69 years old, a widow, type II diabetic, have had quadruple by-pass, triple by-pass, a stent, cataract surgery on one eye, and a complete hysterectomy, yet I'm very active and don't look my age, don't drink or smoke, and lossing my hair has me depressed. Long story... But is there a probability this hair loss can be from wrong combination of drugs?
Answered by Dr. Rudina Balliu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes

Detailed Answer:
Hello ! Thank you for using HealthcareMagic.
I have gone through your question and I understand your concern.
Yes Metoprolol (b-blocker drug) , lisinopril may cause hair loss as a side effect .You should think if the hair loss started to happen after you took one of these pills.
Before to change any of these medication should first rule out any other condition that may cause hair loss :Anemia, uncontrolled diabetes , hormonal test ( thyroid function) by doing blood test and examine you scalp.
You will discus all these with your local doctor and start the treatment according to the cause of your hair loss.

Hope I have answered your question.
Let me know if you have any further questions, I will be happy to help.
Take Care !
Dr Balliu.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana