What causes hair loss, finger nail splitting, tiredness, depression and intense sugar cravings?

Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist

Posted on Tue, 14 Mar 2017 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: I have all the symptoms of a thyroid condition but have been told that my thyroid levels are fine. Is there anything that can mimic the following symptoms: hair breaking and falling out at an alarming rate, fingernails splitting in half and peeling, feeling tired all the time, depressed, a very unusual craving for sugar (not normal for me) a broken bone in my left foot that just won't heal, but bone scans were fine a few years ago

there are times when it is low and I have taken medication for it, but it doesn't seem to help. I stop taking meds, and my levels are completely normal. It is always a low dose 0.05 med, but never has helped. I also a have a pain in my upper left abdomen/chest area like a knife. Pain goes all the way through into my back, but nothing shows up in ct scans
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Pathologies to be excluded:

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!
i have gone carefully through your concern.
Except of an underactive thyroid, low calcium levels, low cortisol level, anemia should be ecxluded.the following blood tests in addition to a detailed physical examination:

-CBC (Complete Blood Count, also known as Hemogram; includes Hemoglobin, WBC and Platelet counts)
-Iron and ferritin level
-Electrolytes (Sodium, Potassium and calcium in particular)
-HbA1c (Glycosylated Hemoglobin = your last 3 months' glucose average).
-Liver function tests (SGOT , SGPT, Albumin, Bilirubin, Alkaline Phosphatase)
-Kidney function tests (BUN, Creatinine)
-Cortisol level at 8.00 a.m
-25 hydroxy Vitamin D levels (ideal range 40 to 60 ng/ml = 100 to 150 nmol/liter)
Calcium

I would be happy to review your performed tests for another professional opinion.

Kind regards,
Dr.Mirjeta

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad