What causes hair loss after stopping mintop and finax?
I was using mintop 10 % and finax 1 mg after transplant.
But when i left both medications i was down with severe infection on scalp and lost many hairs again
is it common after transplant
Now its been many months i didnt get that much density back on my head
I am using tugain 10 % now with finax 1 mg
But still its very slow
Hello and welcome to healthcaremagic
I am Dr. Kakkar. I have gone through your query and I have understood it.
Hair transplantation is broadly achieved by removing grafts from the back (occipital area) of the scalp which are more resistant to hormonal changes, and placing them in areas of scanty growth or baldness. The newly transplanted hair are more resistant to miniaturization because they are not genetically programmed for it and even when transplanted to the area of baldness or scanty hair growth, they follow the principle of donor dominance, that is they grow the way they used to in the occipital region without getting influenced by male hormones.
Androgenetic alopecia is characterized by progressive hair thinning from the frontal scalp as well as the crown part of the scalp. The hair which were already resident in this area prior to transplant may still undergo progressive thinning under the influence of hormones even though the transplanted hair are resistant to miniaturization. Here lies the importance of using minoxidil and finasteride even after transplant to prevent further progression of androgenetic alopecia.
As the transplanted hairs are resistant to miniaturization, you may have rather lost those hairs that were already resident to the frontal and crown part of the scalp because you stopped applying minoxidil and oral finasteride and therefore allowed androgenetic alopecia to progress.
I would suggest that you continue these medications. They need to be continued for the rest of the life.
It will nor harm ,i mean side effects
Yes, it is US FDA approved for androgenetic alopecia and can be taken for lifetime.
Side effects can occur
Topical Minoxidil can cause irritation, dryness and dandruff since it is formulated in an alcoholic base. You should use a shampoo regularly e.g 2% Nizral to take care of the dandruff resulting from minoxidil, in case it happens.
Finasteride can produce sexual side effects like decreased libido/sexual drive in 1-2 % of individuals when they are started on finasteride. However this side effect is reversible and on continued treatment is usually not a concern. Finasteride is US FDA approved for this kind of hair loss.
There is an alternative to finasteride, Saw Palmetto Extract. Saw-Palmetto extract is plant derived and is promoted as an alternative to Finasteride (5 alpha reductase inhibitor) in the treatment of Androgenetic Alopecia. While Finasteride can have side effects like decreased sexual drive and loss of libido in 1-2 % of patients, the main advantage of Saw Palmetto Extract is that it is as effective as Finasteride but devoid of the sexual side effects of Finasteride. The mechanism of action of Saw Palmetto is similar to Finasteride (inhibition of DHT) but it is devoid of sexual side effects like decreased libido because sexual side effect usually occur at high doses (320mg) used for benign prostatic hypertrophy (BPH) patients and not at the usual doses (100mg-160mg) e.g in Tab. Androanagen, used for Androgenetic alopecia patients.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What illness causes hair loss
- What causes hair loss in men
- What causes severe hair loss and loss of eyebrow
- Will stopping mercelon cause hair loss
- What is the cause and treatment for hair loss
- Stop hair loss after typhoid
- What antidepressants cause hair loss
- What causes hair loss when on levothyroxine
- Stopping beyaz cause permanent hair loss
- What is the cause of recurrent fainting hair loss
- What causes recurring red bumps in vagina?
- Suggest treatment for vitiligo
- Suggest treatment for scalp psorasis
- What does a mole on body indicate?
- What causes dry patch of skin on my penis shaft?
- What causes dry lips and getting burns on my lips?
- Should I continue with antiretroviral drugs and get a repeat HIV test?
- Suggest treatment for freckle and open pores on face
- What causes white puss spot on penis head after an unprotected sex?
- What causes itching in the groin area?