What causes hair growth and slight bleeding after removing stitches at a wound?

Dr. Hari Charan Perigela

General Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 10 Feb 2017 in Lump
Question: Hello and thank you for taking my question. I had my second cyst, different location removed from my head about 8 months ago. The cyst was located on my forehead inside my hairline and was tested and came back normal. I went back to the doctor for a checkup and the stitches were removed with no complications. Since then, every few months, the scar seems to bleed a bit and then scab over. It is tender to the touch and appears to have a hair growing from the area where the stitches were. That spot is not tender but the area around it. I have been putting neosporin on it as well as Vitamin E oil. Should I be doing anything else or should I go see my doctor? Thanks very much.
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I need some more information.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Cysts commonly seen in the scalp are Sebaceous cyst,Dermoid cyst.Sebaceous cyst occurs in relation to the hair follicle.Dermoid cyst occurs at the junction of suture lines of skull.
Chances of recurrence is more if the cyst wall is not completely removed.
But,Pyogenic granuloma is a swelling which occurs due to trauma particularly in the scalp and bleeds while combing or due to touch.I would like to know the Biopsy report of the swelling which was removed previously.
I prescribe Anti inflammatory tablet to my patients with similar complaints.
But,you should consult a General surgeon,get examined clinically and proceed accordingly.
I prefer to remove the swelling with wide margin and send for histopathological examination (Biopsy)
Nothing to worry.
Hope I answered your query.If you have any questions, I will clarify further.
Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng