What causes hair fall, tiredness and delayed periods?

Dr. Madhuri N Bagde

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 21 May 2014 in Women's Health
Question: Since last one year my wife is experiencing major hair fall, feeling tiredness & since last three months periods are being delayed by more than 10 days. she has also gained 5 kg weight in year.

Thanks to help us understanding the problem. XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Madhuri N Bagde 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detailed answer below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

The reasons for hair fall are many and the common ones are excess of androgenic or male hormones as well as vitamin deficiencies and stress. All of these also delay periods. There is a condition called polycystic ovarian disease where there is an imbalance in hormones leading to delayed periods. It is detected by sonography but may not be seen in the early stages. It takes years for the full clinical syndrome to develop. Other reason may be anemia, low thyroid hormone levels and ovarian cysts.

There are two options for you in this case:
1. Start her on daily exercise, proper diet [ milk and cereal in the morning, small lunch with whole wheat bread and a bowl of vegetables with low oil at noon, a fruit at evening and light dinner at 7 PM]. No sugar or fats are allowed and both dinner and lunch must include a salad and green vegetables. Along with this she must take B complex vitamins, folic acid and iron tablets. This treatment must be followed for a few months and look for the results. Exercise and gradual weight loss are an important part of this treatment. If there is no improvement then get her evaluated.
2. Get an evaluation. This is better as examination reveals a lot of problems. A physician and gynec examination must be done along with ultrasonography, blood TSH and hemogram test. All of these will help in reaching a proper diagnosis and help in providing correct treatment.

Hope this satisfies your query.
Thanks for using HCM.     
Feel free to ask any more questions that you may have.
Dr Madhuri Bagde
Consultant Obstetrician and Gynecologist