What causes gurgling sensation in upper stomach and chest area?

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist

Posted on Thu, 9 Jun 2016 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: Hello,
my upper stomach and chest occasionally feels bubbly, it happens mostly after i smoke. what is the cause to this feeling and how can i get rid of that?

Thanks,
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possibility of GERD is more.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.

In my opinion, you are mostly having GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease).
It is due to laxity of gastroesophageal sphincter. Because of this the acid of the stomach tends to come up in the esophagus and cause symptoms of gaseous distention which gives bubbly feeling in upper stomach and chest.

Smoking is the biggest risk factor for GERD.
So you should first quit smoking as soon as possible.

You should also take proton pump inhibitor (Pantoprazole) 40 mg on empty stomach.
Avoid large meals, instead take frequent small meals.
Avoid stress and anxiety.

Please let me know, how many cigarettes you smoke in a day?

I will be happy to help you further.

Wish you good health.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee