What causes growth of skin in between breasts?

Posted on Mon, 25 May 2015 in Beauty & Cosmetics
Question: hello doctor, my sister is 28 ans she has a growth on her chest in between her breasts for about 5 years now last 2 years it bursted only to continue growing .. she has been so curious as to what it really is .. there is an image attached
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Might be a keloid in chest wall, please consult surgeon and confirm it

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.
Please find my observations below.

1. Your sister appears to have what is known as a keloid in the skin above the breasts, in the mid line upper chest wall.

2. If confirmed to be a keloid, it is an overgrowth of scar tissue that has a tendency for regrowth after removal. It is a benign by locally recurrent lesion.

3. It starts with a small injury to the area which heals over time and grows more than the surrounding tissues.

4. Some people experience pain and discomfort in the region.

5. Please consult a surgeon and confirm the condition. Once confirmed to be a keloid, treatment options include excision surgery, freezing therapy, steroid injection, radiation.

Hope this answers your question. Please feel free to correct any oversight in my interpretation of your problems and discuss them in detail as per your requirements.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back if you have any doubts.

Dr.Vivek
Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist