What causes groin discomfort after surgery for bilateral varicocele?

Dr. Ashish Verma

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 14 Aug 2014 in Lump
Question: I have had a surgery for bilateral varicocele around two months ago. I have been feeling a little uncomfortable in the groin region for last two days. Please help
Answered by Dr. Ashish Verma 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
need a few more details

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

Welcome to HealthcareMagic.

As such, after a period of two months of surgery, the discomfort in that region should not be related to it.

But, I will be able to help you better, if you can give me a little more details about your symptoms, like:

1- is there any swelling in the scrotum?
2- is there any burning sensation during urination or increased frequency of urination?
3-is there any redness or swelling in the groin region?
4- the exact site of discomfort and if you can describe the discomfort a little more.

Waiting for your reply.

Dr. Ashish Verma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Follow up: Dr. Ashish Verma 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX

First of all, thanks for answering my query. No, there is no swelling, burning sensation or any swelling that I can notice. I have had an open inguinal bilateral varicocele surgery. The nature of discomfort that i have been experiencing is more or less the same as in the immediate post-surgery days. It feels like as if the blood flow is being hindered and that blockage is causing a painful feeling which is like a beep-beep kind of a sensation. It is not consistent but happens abruptly and is then lost all by itself.

Please let me know if I need to provide you with any other information.

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Ashish Verma 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
see below

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

There are quite a few possibilities, but all are rare.

1- there could be a nerve entrapment in the scar tissue that might be causing this. But in this pain will only be at specific movements.

2- could be sign of early recurrence. This will need doppler usg for confirmation.

3- at the cut end of vessels a small anurysm might had got formed or an arterio-venous fistula, to cause you this pulsating sensation.

In my opinion, you may wait for a few weeks and see. If this gets worse, see your surgeon for a clinical examination.

Dr. Ashish Verma
Follow up: Dr. Ashish Verma 9 minutes later
Thanks Ashish!
Answered by Dr. Ashish Verma 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

I am glad that i have been of some help to you. If you don't have any further queries, you may close this discussion and rate the response.

Dr. Ashish Verma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj