What causes grey spots in the field of vision?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Fri, 4 May 2018 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: Hello. I have defined area of grey spots in the left eye. Right eye is normal and fine. If I blink several times, I can see a field of grey spots in the left half field of vision only. I can not see through them well--but none are directly in center of eye, and my right eye compensates and I see almost normally. I've no blurring in the center of the left eye; I woke up with it this morning and they have not seemed to change all day. I am a 51 year Caucasian male. I do not wear glasses; do not smoke; exercise regularly and have balanced veggie diet. Not diabetic, and have no known blood pressure problems. I am not overweight. I have stressful job. I live overseas and have health exams annually.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
They are floaters.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HCM.
Most likely you are having eye floaters in your left eye.
They are deposits or condensation in the vitreous humor, Vitreous humor is the material that fills the posterior chamber of the eye. Term floaters is used to describe seeing spots within their vision that move. So in general floaters occur when vitreous substance that fills the eye begins to shrink and become stringy, casting a shadow onto the retina.

Investigation suggested-
Complete retinal examination.
Slit lamp examination of eye.

Treatment-
Most of the times its age related degeneration.
Treatment would be started once we are sure that these are floaters. Neglecting them may also result in serious complications like retinal detachment.

Hope I was helpful.
Thanks!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Thank you Doctor
The grey spots in the left half of my left eye do not move. I have had floaters for as long as I can remember, and I believe I can see at least two in my right eye now, but the spots in the left eye are small grey circles--much smaller and concentric than floaters, and the spots are immobile.
The grey spots are small pinhole patches in a collective circular patch--like patches of crabgrass on a lawn, and they are in a defined area that has not moved all day. However, they seem to have become less intense. They have not moved.

I will try to schedule an eye exam at the foreign hospital here for next Saturday--with a slit lamp examination.
I am going to sleep in about an hour so I will see if this condition has changed at all in the morning.
XXXXXXX XXXX
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Answer to follow up.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
Floaters have different presentation in different patients.
So just because they are fixed does not mean that they can't be floaters.Fixed lesion could be suggestive of a retinal or macular pathology.
So not only slit examination but retinoscopy should also be done.
Thanks and take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana