• question-icon

    What causes greenish vaginal discharge and discomfort during intercourse?

Posted on Wed, 25 May 2016 in Women's Health
Question: Hi my name is XXXXXXX gonzalez I have green vaginal discharge itching,I also have discomfort having sex is that something bad?
Answered by Dr. S Patra 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Trichomoniasis should be treated properly.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us. Followings are my comments:

1) According to your information, I can assume that you are currently suffering from TRICHOMONIASIS. It is associated with greenish discharge and discomfort during sexual intercourse. Do vaginal swab test under microscope to confirm that.

2) It may be aggravated by using chemical substance like lubricant/ jelly with condom or soap/ detergent/ other scented bath products, causing repeated friction and irritation inside vagina.

3) Some predisposing factors should be eliminated like mental stress, lack of sleep, poor eating habits, hormonal imbalance, certain medicines (like hormone pills, antibiotics, steroids etc), weak immune system, Cervicitis, poor genital hygiene etc.

TREATMENT: 1) I can suggest vaginal suppository or soft capsule (combined Clindamycin, Clotrimazole and Tinidazole) like CLINGEN FORTE for 3-5 days at bed time.

Supportive oral antibiotic like Metronidazole 2 gm (single dose) should be taken by you and your sexual partner, according to test report.

2) Use vaginal moisturizer cream or maintain vaginal pH with RepHresh pH gel to avoid repeated infection. VAGISIL cream can be used prior to intimation each time and maintain genital hygiene before & after sex.

3) Wear only clean and cotton underwear. Don't wear any tight fitting cloths or pants to avoid repeated friction/ irritation. Take sound sleep adequately.

4) Take healthy diet as you have mentioned with anti oxidant (like Vitamin -E or C, Selenium, Zinc etc) supplements. Drink plenty of water or juice for better systemic circulation. You must avoid salty, sugary or fatty foods.

5) Avoid chemical cosmetics or soaps or scented bath products around genital area. Practice protected sex with condom until the problem is completely resolved. Use water based lubricant only (like K-Y jelly).

Hope, I have answered your query. Wish your good health and take care.

For future query, you can directly approach me through


Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Answered by
Dr. S Patra

OB & GYN Specialist

Practicing since :2011

Answered : 4048 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Systemic circulation

doctor1 MD

Sir,I am using sereflo rotocaps 250 mg with rotahaler whenever breathlessness comes due to bronchitis under guidance of pulmonologist for past five...

doctor1 MD

how long is withdrawal time from Vicodin and is it dangerous

doctor1 MD

I have had a surgery where surgical packing was left in my face and after 8 weeks of complaining to the doctor that something smelled like it was...

doctor1 MD

trace a red blood cell from the ascending aorta through a capillary bed in the left knee, and back through the heart and lungs to the ascending...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

191 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. S Patra
  • Q - Suggest treatment for termination of unwanted pregnancy

  • Q - What causes delay in periods?

  • Q - Is Amoxicillin safe to take during pregnancy?

  • Q - What causes heavy bleeding in post-menopausal period?

  • Q - Suggest safest ways to abort pregnancy

  • Q - Suggest ways to abort pregnancy

  • Q - Suggest ways to abort pregnancy

  • Q - Suggest treatment for Gestational Diabetes Mellitus

  • Q - What causes high triglycerides?

  • Q - How to confirm the rupture of hymen?