Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

What causes green vaginal discharge when result negative for yeast infection, gonorrhea and chlamydia?

Mar 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 5964 Questions
I've had a chunky yellow/green vaginal discharge on and off for 6 months. I've been to my doctor several times; we've done rounds of antifungals and antibiotics (vaginal rather than oral - metrinozole). All tests come back negative for trichomonosis, and yeast infections, as well as gonorrhea and chlamydia. Going the holistic route, I've chewed garlic for several days straight, have sometimes done a garlic suppository, and make sure to drink a lot of water. I've cut out sugar and most grains, but still... nothing seems to alleviate my symptoms! Could this be more than a persistent bacterial infection?
Posted Sun, 29 Dec 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 14 minutes later
Brief Answer: GET BV TESTING DONE, REST SUGGESTED. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. You have not mentioned bacterial vaginosis anywhere in the list of the rather extensive work up and treatments that you have gone through. It is rather simple to test for it, and oral Metronidazole ( I gather from your question that you have NOT taken oral metronidazole ) works best for it, over vaginal preparations. My advice is to get yourself tested for BV, and take oral Metronidazole, and see if that makes a difference. As yeast and trichomoniasis as well as gonorrhoea / chlamydia have been ruled out, this is the only possibility left. Regarding other rarer options, please have an internal per speculum and per vaginum examination. Rarely, a cervical polyp or cervical erosion / cervicitis leads to such persistent altered discharge. Also, a pelvic ultrasound scan should be done. Endometritis ( infection within the uterine cavity ) or salpingitis ( inflammation of the fallopian tubes ) can also present with such discharge. A Pap smear, internal checkup and Pelvic scan - these 3 are a must to rule out the other possibilities. Meanwhile, please get your blood sugar levels tested. Have lots of water, as you are rightly doing. Have protected sex until this issue is satisfactorily resolved. Do not take antibiotics if possible. Also, avoid excessive cleaning, rubbing, handling, douching your vagina, this alters the pH. Clean gently with warm lukewarm water and XXXXXXX dry gently again with a linen towel. Wear clean cotton undergarments. Avoid keeping private parts damp for prolonged periods. Get the BV testing done. All the best. Please feel free to ask for further clarifications.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor