What causes green stool?
Not usually a concern.
Hello and welcome,
When stool color is green, it can be from food coloring or green foods such as leafy vegetables. It can also be from the food moving through the intestinal tract faster than normal such as when a person has a gastrointestinal infection. Higher amounts of iron intake can cause a dark green color and fiber type of laxatives can too.
Green stool is generally not a concern unless there are other signs of a problem such as fever, chills, pain, nausea, vomiting, or other digestive abnormalities.
Having green stools for a short time is not a concern.
Having green stools in an ongoing way (weeks, months) may still not be a problem, but the cause should be looked into.
I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes green stool and pepcid ac
- What causes green stool in children
- What causes dark blackish green stool colour
- Fuzzy green stool what causes fuzzy green stool in children
- What is the cause for green stools and flatulence
- What could be the cause of green stool in infant
- What causes lower back pain and green stools
- What causes green stool along with dizziness and sickness
- What causes green stool
- What can cause reccuring green stool in children