What causes green stool?

Dr. Indu Kumar

Radiologist

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: What is the cause of green feces?
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It may be due to watery diarrhea,food supplement.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX
Thanks for writing to HCM

There are many causes of green stool.It indicates that food has been moved through the large intestine too quickly,such as due to watery diarrhea due to Clostridium difficile (typically after antibiotic use).As a result,bile doesn't have time to break down completely.
Green colour stool may also be due to intake of green leafy vegetables,green food coloring agents such as in flavored drink mixes,iron supplements etc.

Mostly green colour stool is due to benign reasons but frequent occurrences of green stool need medical attention to ensure that an infection is not present.

Get well soon.
Hope I have answered your question.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX