What causes green stool in a child?
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic
Does not necessarily mean infection.
Bile is made in the liver and makes it way to the intestines. As it mixes with the other contents of the intestines, bile undergoes changes and its color changes from green to brown.
This color change causes the stool to change color as well.
If stool is passed out quickly or frequently then bile does not have the chance to undergo these changes and the stool is green.
This can occur with diarrhea due to infection or diarrhea due to other causes.
Green stool can also occur due to: (1)use of a lot of green leafy vegetables
(2)iron supplements can also sometimes have this effect
(3)use of foods/drinks with green XXXXXXX
At this point, if there are no other additional symptoms , you can monitor.
If she has diarrhea, then fluids are important to prevent or treat dehydration.
If she has been using iron supplements or a diet high in green vegs, then likely related.
If she has additional long term symptoms (have been present for a while) such as decreased appetite, prolonged frequent bowel movements (happening for weeks), weight loss etc , then she should be assessed by her doctor.
I hope this helps ,feel free to ask any other questions
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes green stool and pepcid ac
- What causes green stool in children
- What causes green stool in a six year old child
- Fuzzy green stool what causes fuzzy green stool in children
- What is the cause for green stools and flatulence
- What could be the cause of green stool in infant
- What causes lower back pain and green stools
- What causes green stool along with dizziness and sickness
- What causes green stool
- What causes green stool in child suffering from pneumonia