• question-icon

What causes green stool along with diarrhea?

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: once in a while I will have green stools, they last through 2 or 3 bowl movements, no other symptoms present.
Should I have this evaluated or is it something that " just happens"
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

Green stools are typically caused by one of two things:

1. Diarrhea/increased intestinal transit time.
2. Ingesting something with green in it.

The most common cause is ingesting something green. This can be green leafy vegetables such as XXXXXXX or from supplements that are plant based, or from artificial food coloring. This problem is not concerning, lasts for a few days, and does not need evaluation.

The other common cause is when stool moves through the bowel too quickly. The bile pigment that the liver excretes into the intestines then doesn't get broken down adequately because there isn't enough time, and so it lends it's green color to the stool. This is also not a cause for concern in itself, unless the increased transit time is a problem for you, or you have ongoing diarrhea that persists. If that is the case, then it should be evaluated.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information.
Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh