What causes green colored stool?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Thu, 2 Mar 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: What does it mean when defication is green and smells like fruit or iron?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX,

Usually green colored stool is not a concerning problem. It can be green from food dyes, green leafy vegetables such as XXXXXXX and from supplements. It can also happen if the transit time through the colon is increased, such as with diarrhea. What happens then is that the bile pigments that the liver produces and excretes into the intestines is not broken down (because they aren't in the intestines long enough to get broken down) and they appear green in the stool.

So it usually isn't a problem if it happens every now and then.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information.
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 23 minutes later
even with red blood count at 2.2?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Questions

Detailed Answer:
I did not realize your red blood cell count was 2.2. It should be at least 4 million per mcl. Has the cause of your low red blood count been evaluated? What work up has been done so far? And are you taking anything such as iron?