What causes green colored gritty stools?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Fri, 27 Apr 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have green color gritty stools. As soon as I eat I have to run to the bathroom they are runny and smell like a chemical
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
acute enteritis.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks choosing HealthcareMagic for your query.
Have gone through your details and i appreciate your concerns.

Most likely you are suffering from Gastroenteritis.It is an intestinal infection marked by diarrhoea, cramps, nausea, vomiting and fever.However its not necessary that all symptoms are there in a single patient.Depending on the cause, viral gastroenteritis symptoms may appear within one to three days after you're infected and can range from mild to severe. Symptoms usually last just a day or two, but occasionally they may persist as long as 10 days.
Bile gives color to stools.As in entritis bile is not broken down properly into stercobilinogen(brown) stool remains green due to unbroken green colored bile salt.

Treatment-

Drink plenty of fluids to avoid dehydration–You need to drink more than usual to replace the fluids lost from vomiting and diarrhoea. Water is best, but you could also try fruit juice and soup.

Get plenty of rest.
If you feel like eating, try small amounts of plain foods, such as soup, rice, pasta and bread.
Use special rehydration drinks made from sachets electral solution to maintain depleted electrolyte levels in serum.
Take antidiarrhoeal medication (such as loperamide upto 16 mg a day) to control loose stools.Its over the counter.
Take a probiotic like VSL#3.

Thanks!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 25 minutes later
This has been going on for well over a month...should that be a concern?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes you should go for some basic tests.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again dear,
If this is going on for more then a month then yes it could be suggestive of something more serious.
I would suggest you to go for following tests-
Ultrasound abdomen
Colonoscopy-Long term change in fecal consistency could also be suggestive of colo rectal pathology like cancer.
Stool test -To rule out chronic infestation of bacteria’s or cysts or protozoans.
Liver function tests.
These baseline tests should be done initially.
Till the time these tests are done symptoms could be controlled using the medications suggested above.
Wish you a quick recovery.
Thanks!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D