What causes green color stool in an infant?

Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 2 Sep 2014 in Child Health
Question: My 5 months old baby's Poo is green in color, we have started feeding her rice cereal from the last 15 days.
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It could be normal

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to Healthcare-Magic
Greetings of the day
Dear Mr XXXXXXX

Greenish stool is common occurrence in many babies. One possible reason for green stools is that your baby is getting too much foremilk and not enough hindmilk. The hindmilk provides most of the calories your baby needs, and makes her feel full. If she's only getting the lower-fat foremilk, she'll be hungry again very soon and will need to feed more often.

Her body may not be able to cope with the increased amount of lactose (milk sugar) from all the milk she is drinking.

If she can't digest the increased amount of lactose properly, there will be more gas and water than usual in his intestines. This will give him cramping pains and runnier, green (often explosive) stools.

Your baby could be getting too much fore milk if she does not latch on properly. You can correct the way your baby feeds by asking the help of a breastfeeding consultant or expert.

Solution: You move her from one breast to the other before she lets go on her own: Make sure that you let your baby feed for as long as she likes. Do not take her off the breast before she lets go on her own. This way you will be sure she is getting as much milk as she needs and plenty of hindmilk as well.
Consistently green stools could also be a warning that your baby is sensitive to something he is eating. What she is sensitive to could be in your milk from medication you are on or something you have eaten.

If the following criteria are fulfilled there is definitely no cause for concern

1. Absence of fever
2. No diaper rash
3. No distension of abdomen
4. Gaining weight adequately

Do write to me directly for any assistance anytime

Take Care

Best Regards
Dr Deepak Kishore
MBBS,MS,MCh
Consultant Pediatric Surgeon