What causes grayish vomitus post alcohol consumption?

Dr. Ralph Chambers

Posted on Sat, 27 Aug 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I'm taking 2 different antiseizure meds, and was told to drastically reduce my alcohol intake (I used to be a heavy drinker), so I have. I now only have between 3 and 7 drinks total in a week. But, whenever I have more than 2 drinks in a single evening, I usually end up getting sick and vomiting 1-3 times. My concern is that the vomit is grayish pink to maroon colored and has marble sized grayish, gelatinous masses in it.
Am I vomiting blood? I know this is a possible side effect/concern with my meds. I'm just not sure if this warrents a trip to the clinic.
Disclaimer: Due to my concern, my drinking has continued to be reduced in frequency and quantity. But, I'm finding that my tolerance to alcoholism is being reduced every time. Last night, I had 1 beer and a sip of whiskey with the same result.
Answered by Dr. Ralph Chambers 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hello. This does sound like blood

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Your description definitely sounds like there's blood in your vomitus.

Were I your doctor, I would screen you for an H pylori stomach infection and, if that were positive, treat you with a course of two antibiotics.

Alternately, this may be a sign of gastritis or even a peptic ulcer, so I would consider upper GI endoscopy to evaluate for those.

I'd also suggest that, for the time being, you should abstain from alcohol completely

Please let me know if you need any more information
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee