What causes gray and brown vaginal discharge?

Posted on Wed, 9 Apr 2014 in Women's Health
Question: Hi for a while my underwear and pyjamas are becoming stained after wearing them sometimes gray but more often a brownish colour - this is not related to my periods. I am a 51 year married woman. Could you explain this please
Answered by Dr. Cori Baill 14 minutes later
Brief Answer: Vaginal discharge is not always an infection. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. I am making a couple of assumptions in order to answer your question. The first is that this is vaginal discharge and that it is a relatively new problem. That most common cause is a condition called bacterial vaginosis. What this means is that the normal bacterial inhabitants of the vagina have been shifted. It is as if some weeds are growing in a normal garden. Sometimes it is associated with a grayish or greenish erosive discharge and a fishy odor. It is easily treated with antibiotic gel or cream or pills. There are of course numerous other reasons for vaginal discharge but this is the most common. It does not represent an infection. It is simply an imbalance in your own normal bacteria. Some of the common causes include staying in workout clothes, recent antibiotics, a change in bowel habits towards constipation or diarrhea. Because there are other causes I strongly suggest you make an appointment to see your local GYN and have this checked out and treated. I'm hoping that you feel well soon.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Cori Baill

OBGYN