• question-icon

What causes granuloma annulare?

Posted on Tue, 1 Apr 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi, just seen a doctor which thinks i have granuloma annulare, they have taken blood tests, just reading up on it, i see it could be associated with hiv, i havent had many partners, just a bit worrying, i have been getting the red, ring marks for some time now, only around the thigh area, doesnt spread anywhere else, are there many cases associated with hiv, just a bit worrying!
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 33 minutes later
Brief Answer: GA, Rule out Fungal infection Detailed Answer: Hello and Welcome to Healthcaremagic. I am Dr. Kakkar. I have gone through your concern and understood it. Granuloma annulare presents as closely set, skin-coloured, firm, smooth papules are arranged in a ring-like fashion to form annular lesions. The center of a lesion is either normal or slightly atrophic. The lesions of GA are usually asymptomatic. Lesions are usually one or two in number. There may be multiple lesions. In hiv/253657?iL=true" >AIDS patients, disseminated GA is common. Association of GA with diabetes mellitus has also been noted, disseminated GA has been considered a marker of diabetes mellitus. I would keep a differential diagnosis of Fungal Infection/Tinea because GA lesions and Tinea have a similar morphology. Therefore, I would advice that you also go in for KOH scraping to look for fungal elements, along with other Lab tests like Blood sugar and HIV etc Hope this information helps you regards
Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist