What causes gradual loss of vision in one of the eyes?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Tue, 11 Apr 2017 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: my husband, who is an over the road truck driver is complaining of sudden vision problems in his left eye - he describes it as being 'glassy' or 'mirror" like. It doesn't last more than a few minutes, and he says it's nothing to worry about. But I worry. Should I?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Detailed eye examination with slit lamp to be done by opthalmologist.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking your query on HealthcareMagic,

As per the brief description given by you, most likely it can be either of these three problems-

1) GLAUCOMA- Glaucoma is an eye disease in which the internal pressure in your eyes increases enough to damage the nerve fibers in your optic nerve and cause gradual vision loss.The most common type of glaucoma develops gradually and painlessly, without symptoms.Most common presenting symptoms may include blurred glassy vision,or seeing colored rings around lights.

2) MACULAR DEGENERATION- Progressive age is one of the most important cause of macular degeneration. Common symptoms are a gradual loss of ability to see objects clearly, distorted vision, a gradual loss of color vision and a dark or empty area appearing in the center of vision.

3) SPOTS AND FLOATERS- Spots are small, semi-transparent or cloudy specks or particles within the vitreous, the clear, jelly-like fluid that fills the inside of your eyes.

Detailed investigation of eye by an Ophthalmologist and Optometrist is required to find out the exact cause.

Some blood investigations like fasting and post prandial blood sugar and lipid profile should also be done.

Hope this answers your query.
Thank you

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 2 hours later
Thank you for your response. I don't know if it matters, but he is on lisinpro (?sp) for blood pressure. Other than that, he's very healthy.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up answer.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
He can keep on taking his medicine,It has nothing to do with his problem.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D