What causes golf ball sized lump in rectum?

Posted on Tue, 9 Jun 2015 in Lump
Question: My friend has just telephoned me to say she has been for blood tests regarding her doctor finding a golf ball sized lump in her rectum and she is so afraid. She does not use the internet so I am trying to find out what it could be. I have told her not to worry as she obviously thinks she has cancer, but maybe it could be something else. Can you help please. I am seeing her this afternoon and I can tell her I have done this. Thank you so much for your help. XXXXXXX x
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Clinical assessment, lower GI endoscopy and biopsy required

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting your query on HealthcareMagic.
A golf ball sized lump in rectum is suspicious of a malignancy or cancer in first place.
However, certain investigations are required to establish the nature and character of the lump.
I suggest you to consult a gastroenterologist for clinical assessment followed by a lower gastrointestinal tract (GIT) endoscopy.
Lower GI endoscopy will help the doctor to view the lump and take biopsy from it.
The biopsy will be examined by a pathologist and its nature will be established.
Further management will depend on the result of investigations.

Keep me updated about the status of your friend.
I will be glad to answer your further queries.

Thanks and take care
Dr Shailja Puri
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Pradeep Vitta
Dr. Shailja Puri

Pathologist and Microbiologist