What causes geographic tongue?

Posted on Thu, 22 Sep 2016 in Asthma and Allergy
Question: My Son is having geographical tongue which occurs frequently and after sometime the tongue becomes normal without any medicine.
Could you please suggest something that can test that this is a normal condition and nothing serious, as sometimes it looks so bad and bothers him while eating.
Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
There are no tests for geographic tongue which say it`s normal condition

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for posting your query on HCM.

Geographic tongue is a benign condition seen in some people. There is no known cause for it.

It generally causes no problem to the individual though sometimes person may have little more sensitivity to hot and cold food stuff.

Nothing is required to be done for geographic tongue except reassurance. No there are no tets which can say that this is normal.

Hope this answers your query.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar
Follow up: Dr. Shashi Dangwal 36 minutes later
Thanks Dr. XXXXXXX for your valuable response.

As you have written that there is no test which can say its normal condition, that means there are chances that this benign condition may convert into something BIG?

For how many years will this continue. It was started around 2 years before.

Is there any medicine or supplements like (vit B) which can cure it up to some extent.
Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
If the child is alright nothing needs to be done.

Detailed Answer:

I wrote that there are no tests to say that it`s a normal condition is because that was your question.

I only said that it`s a benign condition and no tests are generally done for geographic tongue. Sometimes it may be associated with a skin condition called psoriasis.

In my opinion if your son has no symptoms then nothing is required to be done and just reassure him.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Shashi Dangwal

Pulmonologist