What causes geographic tongue?

Posted on Thu, 7 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: After looking at images I think his tongue may be geographic tongue in that one spot.

The white veins appear to be geographic tongue in images I am looking at. So his ear and tongue may be unrelated.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, both are unrelated...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Welcome back

Geographic tongue is seen in vitamin deficiency individuals, it's totally harmless.

Secondly, both geographic tongue and the ear are un-related.

But, during the episodes of mouth breathing, the tongue will get dried up and thus inflammation sets in over the denuded mucosa causing pain.

Adequate rehydration and consuming plenty of vitamins can help in solving this problem to a certain extent.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist