What causes general stomach ache, gas, and sick feeling when lying horizontally on the bed?

Dr. Suresh Heijebu

Posted on Thu, 23 Aug 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I'm a 68 year old woman on good+ health, non smoking, not on any meds, 5'6" at 178 wt.
I've been feeling sick like I want to throw up for about a week, but I can't.
No sharp pains, general stomach ache, feel gassy, I have passed stool a couple of times over the past 8 days, (not much and normal color).
I have tried a little chicken soup, and a couple of saltines, but I can't seem to stomach it.
All I can seem to drink is about 2-3 bottles of 16oz water. I can pass medium yellow urine.
I have a normal temp of about 98 degrees, and have been resting/sleeping in a sitting/reclining position most of the time for the last week, (very unusual for me). I have tried sleeping a couple of times in my bed with my husband, but the horizontal position makes me feel sick.
I hope to call in to my doctor on Monday morning, but a site visit may take 48 hours. Its getting tough, but I don't free like I need to go to the Emergency center.
What do you think? Karen
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Possible Gastrointestinal infection

Detailed Answer:
Hello

I can certainly understand your concern

I have worked through your attached query in detail.

As per your symptoms, the possibility of a mild and sure onset Gastrointestinal infection is high.

This requires a short course of treatment with antibiotics and antiemetic medications.

I generally prescribe oral pills of Tab Ofloxacin and Ornidazole along with a combination pill of Pantoprazole and Domperidone to my patients to rapidly recover from such symptoms. Please check with your physician if he shares my view and if can prescribe these medications to you.

Avoid fried and fatty food stuff.

Maintain adequate hydration by drinking 2 to 3 liters of water a day.

Review after 3 days
Hope my answer is helpful.

Dr. Suresh Heijebu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad