What causes gastric irritation and back pain after having pain killers?

Dr. Munish Sood

Ayurveda Specialist

Posted on Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Back Pain
Question: Hello,

I am 58 years old. I have high BP, but it is under control by taking Telpres H. I am on this medicine for the past 3 years. In the year 2008 I had severe back ache, when Ultra sound Scan was done, It was found that I had two renal calculi in left kidney measuring approx 12mm and 8mm in the upper pole and lower pole. I started taking ayurvedic and homoepathic treatment for this and in about one year they have reduced in size, but still remain in the kidney, measuring about 5 and 4 mm respectively. I get back pain regularly. I took several pain killers and got the scan done and nothing abnormal has been observered. The recent attack of back pain is very bad. With the help of physiotherapy it has reduced to an extent. But still persists. Because of the pain killers I have gastric issues and irregular bowel movements. These two are causing lot of problems. Now after the recent back pain bout even my knee joints are paining. I am 5'11" in height and weigh about 79 kgs.
Answered by Dr. Munish Sood 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Kidney Stone Management and Prevention

Detailed Answer:
Dear

Thanks for contacting with your health concern.

1. Telpres H [Telmisartan+ Hydrochlorothiazide] is an Antihypertensive combination indicated in Adult Hypertension.

. ADR [adverse drug reaction] of Telmisartan is back pain/diarrhea while
. ADR of hyrdochlorothiazide is irregular bowel habits/gastric irritation/raised uric acid & calcium concentration. [pain/stone formation], check with uric acid and calcium values

PS. since gastric irritation is also due to pain killers but make sure these two are also ruled out as aggravating factors for back pain and stone formation.

2. Take: old brown rice,horse gram,moong dal,ginger, boiled water,

Avoid: limit sodium intake, black gram,brinjal,turnip,constipating/heavy meal, milk, dairy products, egg, fish,alcohol,tea, potato,beet root,onion,raisins,citrus fruits,cashew nuts, animal protein, calcium supplements.

3.
. chew sugarcane pieces and keep swallowing the juice.
. drink 1 cup of radish leaves for 14 days
. plenty of pre boiled water and fluids. [at least 2 litre/day]

4. Prescription medicine worth effective are: Chandraprabhva vati, gokshur guggulu, XXXXXXX parpati,yav kshar, Tablet/Syrup Cystone,Tab/Syr Neeri, Tablet Calcury.

PS. Since it is a Surgical Issue thus opinion of General Surgeon is necessary prior to any alternate system of medicine.

Do revert back with your concern and clarifications.

Dr. Munish
Consultant & Physician
Naimittika
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Follow up: Dr. Munish Sood 1 hour later
Dear Dr Munish,

Thanks for your observation and prescription of medicines. I would like to know how the medicines are to be taken. I have consulted the urologist who suggested that since the stones are very small no surgery is needed. Does these medicines prescribed by you work for both the stomach problems and kidney stones.
Answered by Dr. Munish Sood 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Drug Therapy in Kidney Stone

Detailed Answer:
Dear

Thanks for reverting back.

1. If taking in compound form:
. Tablet cystone/calcury/neeri:initially 2 tablet twice daily for 1 month then 1 daily . for 3 months or till asymptomatic
. Syrup cystone/neeri; 2 tsf thrice daily.

2. In Single preparation:
XXXXXXX parpati: 125mg
yav kshar: 125 mg... with water thrice daily.

chandraprabha vati: 2 tablet
gokshuradi guggulu: 2 tablet... thrice daily with varunadi kwatha

3. Yes the said medicine work both on stomach as well as kidney problems, but since gastric irritation is there make sure to incorporate following guidelines also:

.do not keep the stomach empty,also don’t take heavy meals.
.avoid tea and coffee.milk is good (cold)
.for breakfast and snacks:bread/toast jam,cheese or butter,cornflakes
.avoid deep fried and hot foods.
.eat food which are low in fats.
.eat at a leisurely pace.chew your food well.
.avoid eating 3 hrs prior to retiring to bed.may cause secretion of gastric acid if meals taken during bed time.

Dr. Munish
Naimittika

Follow up: Dr. Munish Sood 44 hours later
Thanks for reply. Is Varanadi Kashayam and Varunadi Kwath same. Please let me know.

XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Munish Sood 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Geographical distribution

Detailed Answer:
Dear

Thanks for reverting back.

1. Although there isn't much difference between the two terms BUT one may find varunadi as herbal ingredient: varunadi kashaya [has to be prepared and consumed] or varunadi as decoction; varunadi kwatha [already prepared only have to consume]: 30-60 ml thrice daily with food

PS. If you feel taking decoction is cumbersome you may ask for varunadi kashaya tablets: 2 tablets twice daily [before food]

2. It is a natural diuretic and relieves swellings.

Dr. Munish
Naimittika
Follow up: Dr. Munish Sood 11 days later
Dr Munish Sood,

As per your suggestion, I have started taking Neeri tablets 2 tablets, twice a day and completed one bottle of Varanadi Kashayam, and Rathna XXXXXXX Vati, tablets one bottle since 10 days. I take regularly Gokshura Churna twice daily. I got my scan for the abdomen and pelvis done yesterday. In the left kidney 3 stones are observed one stone in the upper pole measuring 12.7 mm, and two stones in the lower pole measuring 8.9 and 5 mm. There are also a couple of cysts in the left kidney. Please let met know whether the medicines prescribed by you will take care of the above said observations. Whether the stones will get melted?. Is it the reason for my recurrent back and groin and legs pain. All other organs in the abdomen like liver, pancreas, spleen, prostrate and right kidney are normal.

Please suggest.

XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Munish Sood 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Obstructive Uropathy

Detailed Answer:
Dear

Thanks for reverting back.

1. since gravity [anatomy] plays a major role in lower pole stones, thus favoring formation of stone in lower calyces in majority, and as such following points are to be noted prior to initiate any system of medicine.

i. Size: Stones < 5mm are more likely to be able to pass successfully without requiring interventional surgery. [however they may take several days or months to pass]
PS. does the scan told about any possibility of back pressure changes?

ii. If it is asymptomatic [not producing any symptoms] then wait and watch can be done, otherwise if causing symptoms [recent back/groin pain], early intervention is required.
PS. as early history indicated:
. 2 stones: which have increased to 3 now and
. size was reduced earlier but now increased thus second opinion/examination becomes mandatory.

iii. stones are more common in warm areas [karnataka], related with/to relative dehydration and reduction in urinary volume, causing increased urinary concentration.
PS. thus maintain proper hydration.

iv. As discussed, Medicines will take care of the said pathology since these are disease specific and not symptom directed.
PS.
.make sure that renal cyst is simple [talk with your doctor]
. you may go for Hydrotherapy for 3 consecutive days, then repeat K.U.B. X-ray and see whether stone has moved or not

v. Since all other organs are normal, thus probable cause of leg/groin/back pain is stone.
PS. make sure there is no significant tenderness over the abdomen, to rule out any hidden/secondary abdominal pathology.

Dr. Munish
Naimittika

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju