What causes gassy feeling and bloating despite getting treated for acid reflux and GERD?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Mon, 28 Jan 2019 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi Doc,

History: I have had bad GERD, Acid reflux issue in the past.

Current situation: My stomach always bloats, gets gassy and feels so uncomfortable but no pain. Some days i don't have it at all.
Mornings are fine but by the time it gets to evening it starts bloating. This is impacting my physical as well as mental health.

I have tried and done every possible things with food, from avoiding it to adding it to my diet. As i go to gym regularly, it is not making any impact on by body specially belly as my stomach is always bloated. I want to be in shape but I can't eat lot of Protein like Dal, beans and stuffs because it creates lot of gas.

Do you think i have some issues with my colon? some medial issues?

I have clearly described my daily intake of food, what i eat and what i avoid. Please suggest me a permanent solution, i am ready to follow any change in diet or lifestyle change as i am already doing it.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Introduce any change gradually. No matter how much protein or supplement you take if you bloat it's of no use.

50 grams of well digested protein is far better then taking 100 grams of protein giving bloating.

Till now you were eating a regular food so you gut is adapted to digest that food over the years. Now suddenly you are taking salads and fibers, this won't help.

Detailed Answer:

The problem you are having is called dyspepsia. Dyspepsia is a broad term which covers symptoms like bloating belching indigestion etc.

See, as you are a gym goer and are on a high protein diet. Our body is a complex system which digests food properly by the help of a number of good bacteria and yeast which are present in our intestine. These bacteria gradually adapt to the food habits of a person and digest food.

Any change in the diet should always be adapted gradually. There is no use of taking 100 grams of protein a day if you are bloating and belching. These symptoms are clearly suggestive that your body is not at all ready to take heavy proteins. In fact 50 grams of protein well digested would show better effects then 100 grams of protein causing indigestion.

All your symptoms are clearly suggestive of gross indigestion. When food is not digested properly, it starts to ferment inside your intestines. Fermentation causes colonies of bad bacteria to develop in that area. Hence, leading to formation of large amounts of gas causing bloating, belching, pain in the intestines etc.

I would suggest you to take this therapy for 10 days and inform me after that.
Tab Rifaximin once daily.
Tab Metrogyl thrice daily (for 5 days)
Anti bacterial and anti protozoal to kill bad bacteria in the gut.
Cap Rablet l once daily (PPi for acid peptic)
Cap flora zn twice daily (probiotic good bacteria)
Unienzyme Syrup twice daily with half a cup of water (enzymes for digestion)

Take light and easily digestible food.
No whey or BCAA etc for 10 days.
Take green moong daal for protein with brown rice.
No eggs and meat.

Follow up after 5 days.

Adapt to things gradually. Fitness is a lifestyle, it is not a one day thing. Have patience and adapt to things slowly.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Ramesh Kumar
Gastroenterologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng