What causes gas and mild pain in chest post treatment for UTI?

Posted on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 in Infections
Question: I AM 45 YR OLD MALE I AM SUFFERING FROM UTI (KLEBSIELLA SPP ) DR. ADVICE ME URIBID100MG BD FOR 3 XXXXXXX THEN OD FOR 4 DAYS DR. ALSO ADVISE GENTAMICINE INJ. BD FOR 7 DAYS . I COMPLETE ALL DOSES.NOW I HAVE COMPLICATION IN MY GI SOE TIME I AM FILLING GAS IS MOVIG FROM ONE POIT TO ANOTHER ,MILD PAIN IN CHEST WHICH IS COME AND GO MY ABDOMANIS SOFT .I AM PATIENT OF GENERAL ANXIETY .I HAVE H.PYLORY INFECTION .NOW I AM TAKING REBEPRAZOLE 20MG .LEVOSULPRIDE25 MG BD AND CHLONAZIPAM0.25 OD UNLESS IAM FILIING SOME TIME DRY MOUTH WEAKNESS KINDLY ADVICE ME WHAT CN I DO,
IS THE ANXIETY AND GASRO PROBLEM COISIDE EACH OTHER
Answered by Dr. Tushar Kanti Biswas 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
UTI treatment & subsequent symptoms & other co-morbidities

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query. I can understand your concerns.

You had urinary tract infection which was treated with anti-bacterials including nitrofurantoin (uribid) & Inj gentamycin from which you had most likely recovered. I like to know what was the sensitivity report of Klebsiealla sp. However you can now repeat urine routine analysis to know whether it has returned to normal.

Nitrofurantoin (uribid) can cause GI side effects but it is likely to pass off as you discontinued the drug. Usually antacids like liquid sucralfate can alleviate GI symptoms.

Rabeprazole is effective In H.Pylori related dyspepsia and levosulpiride can be taken for functional dyspepsia,if any .
Anxiety element is well treated with Clonazepam but your dryness of mouth is most likely due to side effect of this drug.If possible you can ease on clonazepam.
As gentamycin can increase serum creatinine and BUN,it is better if you undertake serum creatinine and BUN ,serum electrolyte check-up to know if your weakness is due to any azotaemia or electrolyte disturbance particularly serum potassium level.

Dr. T.K. Biswas M.D. XXXXXXX

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Pradeep Vitta
Dr. Tushar Kanti Biswas