• question-icon

What causes fungal infection on the right toe?

Posted on Fri, 21 Jul 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I do have CVI which seems to be under control by wearing compression stockings. For the past couple of months I have been battling what I thought was a fungal infection on my right toe next to my big toe. No matter what I have tried it seems to have gotten worse. It is now black, thick,and hard to the point that I can not cut the nail back. It does not hurt and I do have feeling in my toe and foot. I might be able to cut it back with heavy cutting pliers, but a regular nail trimmer will not do it. What should I do? Does it have to be pulled?
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Is the black discoloration affecting the toe nail or the whole toe

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir, I have gone through your question and I understand your concerns but it will be better to upload a photo to be able to help you in a more clear manner. if you cannot upload a photo then please clarify, if the black color is affecting the nail or the whole toe. kind regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 36 minutes later
The black discoloration is only on the nail. The toe itself is fine and has normal color.

Thank you for your quick response.
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 23 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hematoma or fungal infection

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir, I have gone through your question and I understand your concerns , the cause of a black nail can be due to :
1) subungal hematoma which is a blood collection underneath the nail. in this case the new growing nail will be normal in color and you will only have to wait for the normal colored nail to grow to cover the whole nail-bed
2) a fungal infection which can cause the thickening and keratosis. the treatement will be a powerful antifungal ointement as funginix three times daily for 2 weeks together with soaking your feet two hours daily in a disinfectant ( as detol or even listerine mouth wash) . if the fungal infection was not resolved then you might have to get the nail removed and anllow a new healthy one to grow .
I hope I answered your question .
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 22 hours later
Dr. Salah XXXXXXX Shoman,

From your description, I believe I have #2 a fungal infection. I intend to soak that toe as you suggested. Would it be advisable to use a detox footbath wth a disinfectant?

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir, yes it will be advisable to do so..
Dr. Salah Saad Shoman