Ask a Urologist   »  

What causes full bladder?

Question
I have a blader that is not emptying. After lots of poor diagnosis I have to use a catheter. First time I used it some 4 days ago I got 4 litres of urine out. from then on it is around 1.7 litres twice a day, I feel dizzy and slightly sick each time I use it and now have a fever and headache. The urine smells fouly. is this an infection or some other consequence of suddenly (several years) of having my bladder so full and probably my kidneys not functioning properly?
Posted Sun, 31 Aug 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Urinary antiseptics will help.

Detailed Answer:
Hi sir,

The cause of full bladder in your case should be carefully documented before specific treatment can be instituted in your case .

For this i suggest you to undergo "TRANS RECTAL ULTRASONOGRAPHY-TRUS"
the current symptoms of high bladder can be treated with drugs like darifenacin ,solefenacin and tolterodine.

The symptoms of fever and foul smelling urine in your case can be termed as CAUTI-catheter related urinary tract infections.

I suggest you to get a urine culture before starting on urinary antiseptics like tab Norfloxacin 400mg twice a day for 2 weeks. Consult your treating doctor with respect to above.

I hope this info is helpful to you.
Incase of further queries contact me on http://bit.ly/drsureshheijebu
wish you a good health,
thank you