• question-icon

What causes frequent urination?

Posted on Tue, 4 Jul 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: i am 89 years old. for the last four years i have had to pee every two hours during the day and one or two times at night. a urine analysis was negative. i do not drink any caffeine or drink a lot of water. i do not have any particular health problems. tofranil does not seem to make any difference. i do take trazadone at night.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Most likely to be due to senile urethral stenosis .

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for query .

Increased frequency for urination in elderly females is most commonly due to senile Urethral Stenosis .

In females as the age advances there is atrophy of Genito Urinary organs which involves urethra too .This atrophy causes narrowing of urethral passage what is called as Urethral stenosis .which causes incomplete emptying of bladder resulting into significant amount of urine to remain in bladder As there is addition of urine from kidneys bladder gets filled up early that causes frequency for urination .

Consult qualified Urologist for clinical examination and get following basic tests done to confirm the diagnosis.
1) Urine routine and culture.
2) Ultrasound scanning of abdomen and pelvis with specific mention of Post Void Residual urine (PVR)
3) Endoscopic Examination of bladder (Cystoscopy)

He may do urethral calibration so as to dilate urethral passage which should be followed by self urethral dilatation once daily at home so as to keep urethra wide open so that the bladder gets emptied completely during micturition .

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist