What causes frequent urination?

Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale

Posted on Thu, 2 Mar 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I am peeing about every 30 minutes. What can I do about that? I'm not taking any medication (except for a baby aspirin) and I'm a 67 year old male.
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need expert advise

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for the query under Health caremagic.I have read it &understood your concern.
Frequency of urination at youe age can be due to-
-Excessive water or fluid intake.
- urine infection or bladder calculi.
-undiagnosed or uncontrolled diabetes,
-Enlarged prostate .
-Aspirin is not known to cause frequent urination... on the other hand it prevents or dealys enlargement of prostate.
* In this context
I would suggest a through health check up..along with necessary investigations to pin point the cause . The treatment would be cause specific.
You need to consult an expert urologist for advise & guidance about treatment.
*Self care comprises of -
-Avoiding food items like coffee/grapes/pine apple/watermelon./bear.
- Take sufficient water (8 - 9 glasses)spread over day time & witheld water intake few hours 2-3hrs)before going to bed.
- Bending forwards would ease relief from residual urine.
*Thus with expert advise &self care... you would get rid of the nagging problem very well.
I think that answers your query.Any follow up query is welcome..
Thank you.

Follow up: Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 13 hours later
Thank you for the advise. I didn't tell you that I am in "persistent A-fib," but decided to discard the medication because I didn't like the side affects (bled out once, changed pills-affected my thoughts, changed pills again-didn't feel well, so...threw them out a year ago...I actually feel fine. Does that have anything to do with the urination frequency?
I do drink a lot of diet soda. The ingredients of diet soda is mostly water. Does that make a difference?
Thanks again.
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
Asymptomatic Afib less likely , but excess diet soda can be the cause.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for the feed back.
No, Arterial fibrillation is not known to cause frequent urination.. unless diuretics are given to control edema arising from it's heart complications.
A-fib is likely to remain asymptomatic or disappear over the time...Still though it does not seem to cause for your present symptoms, it' s worth getting a through heart check up (as a routine health check up )along with all other check ups , suggested for your present health concern.
- Yes,drinking lot of diet soda can be the cause of excessive urination...but if you are used to diet soda consumption in lots since long & you have started having the symptoms now,you need to assess other possibilities with expert's help & investigations.
I hope the answer was both informative & helpful to you. Any follow up query are welcome.
Thanks .