What causes frequent urination?
What you've said is right. The symptoms you have explained are more suggestive of those due to enlarged prostate in men beyond their fifties.But that does not mean that young men cannot develop the same.The cause could be due to obstruction or due to an infection, in which case you will be alright after a course of antibiotics. Hence you need a few basic investigations. These will include an ultrasound scan of Kidneys and Bladder region and an estimate of post void urine, a complete urine analysis, and if there are pus cells in urine, urine sample for culture and sensitivity should be given.
If you are voiding reasonably well, you can be started temporarily on drugs like Solifenacin 5mg once daily which should help reduce the urgency and frequency. However if flow is poor, it might precipitate retention of urine. Thus the need for ultrasound scan and flow rate evaluation. Indeed if flow is poor you might need drugs like Flomax to improve voiding.
If urine is turbid, pending culture and sensitivity report, you can be started on antibiotics like Ciprofloxacin 500mg twice daily and you should note improvement soon.
Hope I have been of help.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What are the underlying causes for frequent urination
- What causes frequent urination at bedtime
- What is the cause of weakness and frequent urination
- What is the cause for headaches and frequent urination
- What poison causes frequent urination
- What is the cause for pressure that causes frequent urination
- What are the causes of frequent urination at night
- What is the cause and treatment for frequent urination
- What could be the cause of frequent urination
- What are the causes for frequent urination in children