question-icon

What causes frequent urination?

Posted on Tue, 8 Jul 2014
Question: Hi,
All morning I have been having to go to the toilet for urination with a full bladder - every 30 -40 minutes, which is very unusual for me. And in the last hour have had some dizzy spells as well. I am 41 year old male in reasonably good health usually. Anything I should be concerned about?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James (53 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
may be an infection- most common cause

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Frequent urination can be related to: (1)urinary tract infection- this can affect any aspect of the urinary tract ( urethra, bladder, ureter, kidneys, prostate). This is the most common cause

(2) enlarged prostate- in this case however the symptoms should be acute but there should be a previous history

(3)urinary incontinence

(4)side effect of medication

(5)diabetes

(6)mass or stone in the urinary tract

You may want to consider a visit to your doctor for a urine test. This in office test would be able to determine if there is any evidence of infection. Your doctor may also suggest a sample of urine be sent to the lab for analysis because this can give more definitive answers.

Antibiotics would be given if infection is confirmed.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions

Dr. Michelle Gibson James